Saturday, April 3, 2010

cupcakes for my cupcakes

Each holiday I try to outdo myself in true super mom fashion. I have this intense desire to be the coolest mom for my kids and in my kids daycare....I am not joking...I want those kids to think, "Man! Jonas and Dylan have the best mom in the whole world!"

So this week I of course stayed up all hours of the night making special yummy marshmallow surprise cupcakes. I would be lying if I said it wasn't a struggle, because all I could think of as soon as I got home from work was putting on some sweats and snuggling up in bed. Silly me thought it would be a good idea to go out with some gal pals the night before, and of course, a few drinks knocked me on my ass and had me hurting all day (I have become somewhat of a light-weight in recent years). But, what kind of mom would I be if I didn't make my kids cupcakes just because I had a hangover? 

I cheated a little with the main cupcake base, but made up for it by putting a ton of effort into the frosting (which was amazing...AND I made it from scratch!).

The cupcake base was simply a box of Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix. I whipped that up and poured about 1/3 of the baking cups full. I let it set and then places 2-3 small mini marshmallows on the batter. (I put 1 on some and they seemed to just disappear once baked).

Then I poured the remainder of the batter on top and shoved the cupcake pans into the oven.

While that baked, I went right to work on my amazingly delicious marshmallow fluff frosting. The recipe is below.

Be super careful when you add the powdered sugar because every time I did it was like a container of baby powder exploded in my kitchen. On another note, homemade frosting looks a MILLION times better on cupcakes than store bought.

The cupcakes were incredible and I will be bragging about them for a while. I'll make sure to save one for you next time.


Marshmallow Fluff Frosting

what you need

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine or butter, softened
1 jar  (7 oz.) JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg.  (16 oz.) powdered sugar
1 to 2 Tbsp. milk, divided

make it

PLACE margarine, marshmallow creme and vanilla in small bowl; beat on medium speed until well blended. Gradually add sugar, beating after each addition until well blended.
BLEND in 1 Tbsp. of the milk. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. milk if necessary for desired spreading consistency.



1 comment:

  1. OMG, you are the coolest Mom ever. Love the way you decorated them.

    ReplyDelete