Monday, March 29, 2010

green slimey smudges enhance a black t-shirt

I always hold out hope that the weekend will be relaxing for once...that I'll get to sleep in and be lazy, maybe even fit in a nap or 2 when the kids do, who knows, I might even fit in renting a movie if I'm feeling crazy...but once again, my soothing weekend dreams were squashed like a bug under my shoe (well, really under Tim's after I scream bloody murder for him to kill it).

It all began on Thursday when I got a call from the sitter that both kids were showing signs of being sick. I prepped myself almost immediately to keep one, if not both of the kids home on Friday (I HATE when other parents drop off their sick kids and I try my hardest to keep them home at any sure signs of sickness). Sure enough Jonas was up for hours at night coughing, sneezing, and breaking my heart crying. Thanks to my amazingly understanding job, I was able to work from home, so I sent Tim off to work with Dylan for the sitter while Jonas and I poured some orange juice to start our day. Now, a day home with a sick Jonas is no walk in the park. He has inherited his mothers acute talent for whining incessantly when not feeling well and general distaste in the rules. I knew although, that out of the entire day there was just one hurdle to overcome, my very important conference call with one of my "very important" clients. 

I carefully went through all the necessary steps of preparation to keep Jonas at bay during my call. The call was at 1, which left me with all morning to tire Jonas out while also getting some work done. By 12:30 I had already chased him around the house threatening to tickle his feet, given him his dosage of medicine, and somehow stuffed lunch in his belly when I thought he wouldn't even eat.

By 12:50 I had him all set up for a nap in my bed with "Up" playing quietly in the background while I barricaded myself in our office. My call started promptly at 1 without a hitch. I even was able to crack a small joke about excusing any noise in advance as I was working from home with my sick 2 year old. About 20 minutes into the call I hear Jonas questioning from my room: "mommy?...mommy?....where are you mommy?" (Oh no.)

I continued to talk as if I didn't hear him. Within a minute I could hear him at the office door: "mommy?!...cough cough...what are you doing mommy?!" (Maybe he'll pass by and go into his room looking for me.)

Sure enough, Jonas started BANGING on the door: mommy!...let me in mommy!...cough, cough...MOOOOMMMMEEEEEEEEE! LET ME IN MOMMY! COUGH, COUGH, COUGH" (PANIC!)

I let out a nervous laugh. "I am so sorry (Jonas screaming, banging, coughing and sneezing in the background), I swear I don't torture my children, ha...ha" (errrrrr)

On top of it all, my cell phone started ringing text tones loudly as the sitter sends messages about Dylan being sick and me needing to pick him up. Of course, I couldn't get to the damn thing fast enough for me to quiet it, so I just threw it in the closet hoping is wasn't too disruptive. 

I quickly finished my sentence and muted the phone as soon as they started talking. I opened the door, wiped Jonas' snotty nose, gave him a hug and set him up in another room to play as I moved into Dylan's room. Thinking I bought some time, I unmuted my phone and began to join in the conversation again. About 10 minutes go by before Jonas came screaming and banging at the door. (just I SWEATING?!)

Luckily the call ended shortly after and my boss made it a point to say I handled it pretty well, so I left to pick up a snotty and stuffed up Dylan. The rest of my afternoon was spent trying to get any ounce of work in while the kids coughed, sneezed and boogered all over me (gooey globby shirts are all the rage in momville).

Saturday played pretty much like Friday (minus the trying to be all career-like) since Tim had to work. I was able to get a bit of adult conversation in with jess and jerms who came to spend the night (I am still hoping they don't catch the koerper bug)...but, my mommy responsibilities called and I was assigned snuggly comforting, runny nose, runny diaper, runny eye ball duty for the day.

By the end of the day I felt like I had run a marathon. Tim and I obviously had to forgo our typical Saturday mommy-daddy fun night in since I passed out as soon as I hit the bed WITH my snot covered t-shirt still on. Hopefully my little buggers will get better soon so that they sleep soundly and I can sleep with a clean shirt on!

No comments:

Post a Comment